Submitted by Delano Public Library
Information updated March 2019
The Delano Public Library has something for every age, from babies to adults, and for a wide array of interests – art workshops and exhibits, storytimes, concerts, technology help, book groups, and local historical information. We want your local library to function as a neighborhood gateway, inspiring you to shape the future through exploration, knowledge, and connection.
The Delano Public Library is part of the Great River Regional Library system. GRRL spans six counties with thirty-two branch libraries, nearly one million books, CDs and DVDs, and regionally and locally-supported programming. The size and scope of GRRL allow us to provide high-quality materials, programming, and information services to our patrons.
Our Delano branch service to you starts with our great staff, expansive collection and weekly programming. Our staff is here to assist you, from advising you on what to read next to searching online databases. We care about you and your need for access to community resources, and we invite you to get to know your library staff and apply for a free library card. If you are 17 or older, you need to bring picture proof of identification and address to open the most important card you will ever get for free!
Books are just one part of what you can find at the Delano Public Library. With your library card, you have access to a long list of helpful services:
- Axis 360: an easy-to-navigate ebook and audiobook service.
- Genealogy research tools: explore your heritage using databases like HeritageQuest and Ancestry-Library Edition
- Book-A-Librarian: our one-on-one technology assistance service
- MN Writes MN Reads: a program which allows you to create e-books and share them with readers across Minnesota and potentially the United States. Readers can find e-books published by independent authors
- Power check meters: you can check out a meter to help you calculate your current home energy usage and costs, which can help you with future savings through reducing appliance use or switching to energy-efficient models.
- Brain Fitness Kits: activity kits to check out for staying sharp at any age.
- Educator Request Forms: You tell us what subject materials you need for your next lesson, and we do the rest. These are great for families that homeschool, preschool teachers or any other educator looking for help gathering material for teaching
- Lynda.com: this database provides free business and technology lessons for library cardholders
- Chilton.com: learn how to perform car repairs on a host of makes and models.
- Community partnerships: The Delano Public Library partners with the Delano Senior Center, Wright County 4H, local businesses, Delano schools, and preschools and other local organizations to build a better community for all of our citizens.
- Library and community news: Check out our bi-monthly event guides, email news lists, local flyers, and community bulletin boards to keep up with events and activities.
- Readers’ tools: Find a suggestion for your next book with free access to Novelist.com, start a local book club with our Book Club Kits, or check out a Grab & Go backpack filled with fun books and ideas for family literacy activities for those who don’t have time to browse.
- Technology: Use our color copy machine, printer and scanner, public Internet computers, online databases, and wireless internet. For those who need a little extra help, we offer classes and individual tutorials on digital literacy.
- Programming: The list is long; we offer monthly art classes, book clubs, tiny tot storytimes, a teen writing group, a gardening club, and a Lego club, and more. The Delano Library also holds seasonal health and wellness classes, author visits, and many children’s programs.
- Community meeting place: Connect with friends and community members in one of our 2 meetings rooms, snuggle up and read with your children on a comfy couch in our children’s area, relax in a Queen Anne chair in the magazine reading room, or hang out in the newly renovated teen vault.
Your Delano Public Library focuses on history, art, community-building, early literacy, lifelong learning, and access to materials you need to explore, learn, and connect with the world around you. Stop by the library and you’ll find an active, creative, innovative space with programs, materials, and resources for everyone. Find a comfy chair and enjoy!